- On average, more than one bike is reported as stolen each day.
- $71,554 in bikes are reported as stolen each year. Only 11.5% of that was recovered.
- We can estimate that nearly $150,000 in bikes are stolen every year in Champaign-Urbana alone. This is because only half of bike thefts are reported.
- 59% of bikes were valued at less than $200 or less.
- 81% were valued at $400 or less.
In short, the data demonstrate that bike theft’s a pretty big deal. If you want specifics on how we got these numbers, or what they mean, read our posts on bike theft in C-U, bike theft at UIUC, and our overview of studies on biking in Champaign-Urbana.
If you want to be a part of solving the bike theft problem here in Champaign-Urbana, join our BikeNet Kickstarter project. Together we can make stealing bikes harder and recovering them easier.